- About UsThe Erie Historical Society was founded in 1984 to preserve Erie, Colorado’s history. We honor those hard working pioneers who mined the coal, worked the fields and ran the railroads, as well as the pioneer women who raised the families and educated the children. The Erie Historical Society: CELEBRATES Erie’s history with events like Erie Biscuit Day which held each fall, honoring a similar event held by 19th century residents to welcome the fall and celebrate the workers’ return to the mines. EDUCATES through projects like the Wise Homestead Museum, to commemorate early homesteaders and through partnerships with community members. Historic talks by local historians and lecturers provide a glimpse back in time and reveal remarkable stories about the people who settled in our region of Colorado. PRESERVES the area’s rich history through projects like the Wise Homestead Museum, at 11611 Jasper Road. The two-story Western Victorian farmhouse was built by Erie settler O.E. Wise in 1870 and has been restored by local and state Historical Societies. The Wise Homestead Museum is currently open Saturday ( May through October ) from 10am to 2pm or year-round by appointment. To schedule a visit please call 303-828-4568. Statement of Purpose The purpose…
- EHS News
- Wise Homestead MuseumErie – Wise Homestead Museum The Wise Homestead dates back to 1869, when Oliver Wise, his wife Adaline (Ada), and their three children came across the plains from Wisconsin to settle in Colorado.
- Erie Biscuit DayAnnual Erie Biscuit Day presented by Erie Historical Society
- MembershipAny person interested in the history of Erie, Colorado may become a member. Active membership categories are: Individual Family Business/Institutional Members are entitled to vote at regular, special or annual meetings, and are eligible to serve on the board of directors. Members are entitled to a variety of benefits, such as discounts on books, research materials, and fees, invitations to members-only events, discounts on programs and workshops. Membership is tax deductible to the extent that contributions to 501(c)3 tax exempt organizations are allowed.
- Contact UsErie Historical Society – Wise Homestead Museum 11611 Jasper Road, Erie,CO 80516 Telephone: 303.828.4561
Author Archive for: ‘floodm’
Join us December 15th from 10:00am to 4:00pm for A Homestead Christmas at the Wise Homestead Museum Free Admission (donations accpeted) Museum Open House, Hot Cider, Cookies and Tours of Wise Homestead Museum Wise Homestead Museum is located at 11611 Jasper Road, Erie, CO Google Map
Mark your calendars. Saturday, October 13, 2012 at 10am-12:00pm Join us for a morning walking tour of Mt. Pleasant Cemetery with Erie Town Clerk Nancy Parker as she walks us through the historical graves and markers. This series is sponsored by Erie Community Library and Erie Historical Society. More Info: https://www.facebook.com/events/355568281192953/
Howell-Robinson Farm Barn was moved to the Wise Homestead Museum property in XXXX. It dates to around 1875 and was originally built as a granary. [ Excerpts from Peter Gleichman’s cultural and historical survey ] The barn is 19’x17’4″, one and one-half story, braced frame mortise-and-tenon construction, with braces rising from the ground sill to the corner posts. Corner …
Erie Historical Society would like to thank everyone that participated and attended the Erie Biscuit Day Saturday, Sept. 15th! Check out a photo gallery from 2012 Biscuit Day Here are some of the Biscuit Day hightlights!! Stew Contest Results Congratulations to Miner’s Tavern for their winning stew entry. Thank you to all the other participants. All the stews were fantastic! …
After World War I, the veterans’ group, the American Legion, came up with the idea of beautifying Arapahoe as a “Road of Remembrance,” complete with a stone gateway.
Join us for a slide presentation exploring the recent history of climbing Colorado’s 14,000 foot peaks for sport, June 17 at 7:00pm
Erie Community Library. Writer and Colorado naitive Mark Scott-Nash will share some of the dangerous consequences of this popular activity.
On May 13th, 2010 at 7:00pm at the Erie Community Library, Jason Midyette, president of the Boulder County Railway Historical Society, presented a slide show and talk about the Historic Railways of Erie. Below is the live video of that discussion.
Historic Railroads of Erie Join us for an exciting trip back in time, when trains ran in out of Erie transporting coal. Expert Jason Midyette, president of the Boulder County Railway Historical Society, will present a slid show about historic railroads of the Erie area. May 13 at 7:00pm Erie Community Library 400 Powers Street, Erie 720-685-5224 www.mylibrary.us Local History …
Wise Homestead Museum Period of Significance is from 1872 – 1920. The museum needs your help. We are looking for the following items for the Wise Museum. Please contact Sarah or Alan Wise at 303-828-4561 to help or if you have any additional questions. Boy’s Room – Upstairs Washstand. Wash Bowl and Pitcher/Set – Prefer Graniteware or Plain White Ironstone. …